Any wet surface has the potential to create a slip and fall accident if the coefficient of friction is not above the standard as identified by the Americans with Disabilities Act of a 0.60.
Wet pool decks are a special hazard because they are very slippery when they are wet. Swimming pool decks can come in many types of surfaces. We have helped customers treat slippery concrete surfaces, travertine, river gravel, tile and many others. No matter what kind of swimming pool deck you have, we have an anti skid solution that will make it safe for years to come.
In our experience of more than thirty years of treating pool decks to make them safe, we have come to the conclusion that a pool deck needs to have a coefficient of friction of higher than the standard of 0.60. Any time that we have treated pools we make sure that the minimum coefficient of friction is at least 0.75. If the surface will allow us to push the coefficient of friction to 0.8 or even 0.85 then that is just that much better.
The unique quality of the wet pool deck requires the additional coefficient of friction. Slippery Pool Decks will always be a problem because they will always get wet.
We have had excellent results in treating stone and tile pool decks and treating areas around the pool deck to make them safe.
There are three major things to consider when treating a pool deck:
- Can a coefficient of friction be achieved that would be sufficient to make the surface safe?
- With our line of anti skid treatment products for slippery pool decks you can achieve a COF that is safe for pool users!
- How long will it keep the pool safe?
- Our tests show that Slip Zero will last in excess of 15 years with proper maintenance. Slip Zero is a microscopic chemical abrasion product which is ideal for unsealed natural stone such as travertine, and any tile decking as well.
- Our tests show that SolidStepCote will last for several years. SolidStepCote can improve the COF on any surface around a pool whether it is sealed or not, and cures to a gritty texture to improve friction on pool decks.